Friday, April 24, 2015

Notes on not seeing famous people

I didn't see Russell Brand yesterday. Nor did you – right? But let me explain – he walked past me as I was carrying a box in Aldwych; I didn't notice him, I've no idea if he did me. Anyway, I wasn't told about him walking past until an hour later by a colleague. But does it count as a famous person sighting? Well, the consensus seems to be "no". But like my friend who was at a party Madonna was at (but never saw her) or my friend who was at an exhibition Bryan Ferry was at (but never saw him), it must surely count for something for being at the right place at the right time but just not seeing the celebrity. In fact, it's possibly even cooler, it's like: I had better people to talk to (at the Madonna party); more interesting exhibits to look at (at the Bryan Ferry exhibition) and was too busy carrying a box (in Aldwych) to notice. Which is true.

Previously on Barnflakes:
Near coincidences

3 comments :

The man who didn't see Bryan said...

All very true. Which reminds me. Just last week I was having a drink with Brian Eno, who told me that celebrities, prompted by calls from their publicists, often make special detours especially to be seen walking past Mr Barnflakes.

Caspar said...

That Eno, he's such a bitch…

Actually, I prefer to walk past so-called celebrities without letting on I've recognised them, rather than pander to their inflated egos. Which is why it was embarrassing when in the Tate Bankside my companion called out "Robert Downey Junior!" to one of three somewhat badly-dressed guys nearby, as though they were both great pals meeting by chance. And it really was him.

Barnaby said...

They walk past me all the time apparently.